MTHFR – are you tired of reading about it yet? I am tired of having to think about it, and more importantly, I am tired of doctors pooh-poohing my hetero status. If you are a doctor and you are reading this (which I am sure you are not because you are too busy reading marketing material from Big Pharma about the latest and greatest way to poison the population), listen up: MTHFR IS REAL, it may effect your patients in ways you may not yet know or understand. OR it may not. Be open to the possibility.
Dr. Ben, who I have mentioned before, has a great basic protocol for C677T hetero and homo individuals.
The biggest differences in recommendations between these two types of mutations are:
- folic acid needs to be avoided more seriously by homozygous individuals
- the amount of methylfolate required for homozygous mutations is greater
- the blood thinning requirement is greater for homozygous individuals
Here are the common recommendations for supporting those with C677T MTHFR mutations:
- Limit ingestion of folic acid in fortified foods as you cannot process folic acid well. – Done
- Limit or cease taking supplements or drugs with folic acid in them. Talk with your doctor before stopping. – Done
- Avoid folic acid blocking drugs such as birth control or Methotrexate. – Um, not relevant to me at this time. If I have to down-regulate with BCP before IVF I will discuss with doctors.
- Avoid drugs which increase homocysteine such as Nitrous Oxide (most used in dentistry) – LOL
- Avoid antacids as they block absorption of vitamin B12 and other nutrients – Oy! Catch you later, Zantac!
- Begin understanding which of your symptoms may be related to the C677T MTHFR mutation.
- Measure homocysteine levels – properly!
- Inform your family members so they can also test for the MTHFR mutation – I am pretty certain MTHFR is on both sides of my family. No one has tested yet.
- Find a doctor who is knowledgeable about MTHFR or is willing to learn
- If you are pregnant, find an OB/GYN or midwife who is knowledgeable about MTHFR.
- Eliminate Gluten from your diet – especially wheat. – Why is this? Is it because all conventional wheat products are fortified? I do not believe that I have a gluten sensitivity, but I am open to discussing this.
- Eliminate or reduce dairy from your diet. If you must have dairy, use goat milk. – um, I only have dairy in my coffee which will soon go away, and the occasional cheese in a salad, which is typically goat. This isn’t too hard.
- Sauna or sweat somehow (epsom salt baths, sports, yoga..) at least once to three times a week. – Love this!
- Limit intake of processed foods – Been doing this for years to the best of my ability, but sometimes, I just have to have a Canada Dry ginger ale, and it kills me that it is made with high fructose corn syrup. Might as well be made with Round Up! directly into the drink. Bleh....
- Increase intake of whole foods and home-prepared meals. – Difficult with travel and a DH who LOVES to eat out.
- Eat the Rainbow of colors from fruits and vegetables – daily
- Castor Oil Packs over your abdomen daily during times of pain, soreness, cramps – ???
- Vegetable/Fruit Juice Diet with Chia Seeds during times of pain, soreness, cramps
- Limit intake of high methionine-containing foods if homocysteine elevated
- Coffee Enemas during times of detoxification or pain – no.
- Filter chlorine from your drinking water, shower and bath. – sigh, really?
- Drink at least two liters of filtered water daily mixed with vitamin C and electrolytes.
- Eat smaller, but more frequent meals, throughout the day with some form of protein.
- Limit protein intake to approximately 0.7 grams protein per kilogram of body weight.
- Remove mercury amalgams and root canals with a trained biological dentist.
- Avoid cooking, drinking, storing and heating in any type of plastic container. – done, gross
- Use an air purifier in your home and office
- Eliminate carpets from your home and install low VOC wood or tile flooring.
- Eat grass-fed beef, free range, hormone free and antibiotic meats and eggs – done
- Cook with electric stove and oven and remove gas stove and oven. – Never, and I mean, never going to happen.
//end of my discussion of MTHFR for the foreseeable future